Friday, March 27, 2015

Friday's With Tom--My Airsoft War Adventure

Hello guys, Tom here and welcome to my blog.

On the 22nd of March I went to an airsoft war with 3 other friends and 4 guys from the Moscow, Idaho area. I had to get up early, about 5 am and have breakfast. I was excited to go because it was my first airsoft war with other people besides a small handful of my friends.

After I got picked up the rest of my friends stopped for breakfast at a McDonald's. One friend had two Egg McMuffins and two orange juices, one had hot cakes and milk and the last friend had a breakfast burrito. By this time it was about 7 am and we drove for what felt like 2 ½ hours to a remote trail just past Potlatch. We parked about maybe half a mile from the airsoft field and it was an uphill climb. It would have been easier to climb if we weren't carrying about 10-15 lbs. of airsoft gear and equipment.

Being the genius that I am, I was dressed in black (I'm trying to go for a British SAS style look) so the hike up the hill was exhausting. But thankfully my friend, Jon, was just as out of shape as I am so I had someone to talk to while we were climbing. Oh I forgot to mention that there were 8 of us, me and three of my friends and 4 guys who were about in their senior year of high school from the Moscow area.

By the time we got up to the hill and had 1 game of airsofting I had realized I had forgotten a loader for my bb magazine. I asked one of the guys who were more familiar with the terrain to help guide me back to the cars so I could get the loader and we had to hike back up the hill. Oddly enough, it was harder getting up the hill with only 5 lbs. of gear than it was with 10-15 lbs. of gear so I sat out of a game to catch my breath and drink some water.

When I was feeling better we had a couple of games. One game we had was an escort mission. 3 NATO troops were to guard the president after crashing Air Force 1 in the forest from terrorists whose goal was to either kill the guards or capture the president. Round one I was on the terrorist’s side (despite having British flag patches) and my team won the battle. The second round I was on NATO's side and we lost the battle but it was lengthened to about 10 minutes worth of game play (fun fact; the guy that volunteered to be the president sounded exactly like President Obama, so he would usually spout out things like, “My fellow Americans” and other things Obama has said during his presidency). Then we had a couple games of 2 vs.2 vs. 2 vs. 2 and my team came in second after I had ran out of ammo. How it worked was that if you got hit once you had to shout out “hit” and raise your hand and walk back to the non-playing area (which oddly was in the middle of the battlefield so we had to keep our eye protection on) so people had to be honest if they get hit.

When it came time for lunch the four guys from Moscow had brought their lunch up from the cars while two of my friends (T-Mac and Jace) went down to the car to get theirs. The funny thing was, they stayed at the car and ate but me and the others thought they were missing so one of the guys from Moscow started saying,

“Oh god it’s like in horror movies that take place in the woods. Two go missing and the guy that went to go searching for them disappears.”

Eventually they came back after what felt like an eternity. T-Mac had brought up half of a PB&J sandwich which my friend Jon and I split and ate. Later (during the break) one of the Moscow guys had brought a CO2 powered sound grenade (it is supposed to make a loud “boom” sound). It didn't work so for about 10 minutes we had been throwing a sound grenade trying to get it to work. We threw it as far away as we could, shot at it, one guy actually threw a 10 lbs. rock at it and it never went off. So we ditched it to let it slowly leak CO2 (which was why it never went off).

By this time it was around 3:15 pm so we collectively agreed that it was time to head home. We packed everything up and hiked back down the hill and back to the cars. For about 5 minutes after we arrived we had tried to fit everything in the trunk but we would forget something then have to pull everything out and reload it back into the trunk. Eventually we got everything packed and put into the car and headed back home. We made a quick stop to get gas and a soda (I had like half a Welch's grape juice bottle full of water) and we proceeded to head home.

We made it back at around 5:15 pm and I was dropped off. I was exhausted and my legs were killing me. But I would do it all again. It was a lot of fun. I highly recommend airsofting to anyone who wants to get a taste of what it’s like to be in the military and be in situations that are taxing on the body.

Well that's it for today's post, I hope you guys have a good day and as always, stay beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing with others what it is like to be going through schizophrenia. Like your son, I have been battling this wretched illness. It has ruined my life. Ever since I was a child I had an interest in the military. I wanted to play airsoft, but was discouraged to because of my illness. Reading this article you posted, gave me hope of starting playing airsoft. Would it be possible if a person like me could be permitted to play airsoft just like your son?


My Most Popular Posts...

Follow my posts by Email:

Follow Me On Twitter