Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Best Possible Outcome

Yesterday I did what I said I was going to do and I reached out to Thomas' job rehab specialist. I told her that first and foremost that I didn't want to be a meddling mom and that I was open to any suggestions she had. I explained to her all of the things I wrote in my blog here about his meds at night and his paranoia at night and she told me that she agreed that Thomas shouldn't be working that particular shift. She was with him through the entire orientation process at the job and she said she was surprised when Thomas said he could do the graveyard shift but she let it go because he seemed so fine with it. That is Thomas for you. I suspect he thought he could get through anything and I think part of it was that he doesn't know how to speak up for himself when something happens, especially when an authority figure is involved.

She went on to tell me that she is bipolar and that she didn't take her meds for years because she refused to admit that she needed them but when she finally did she felt so much better. She said she wouldn't be where she is now if she hadn't taken her meds. So, she understood the value of Thomas getting the right meds at the right time and she understood that this particular shift was the wrong choice for Thomas. She promised me she would make some calls over to the job and speak with them and see what she could do.

Earlier in the morning yesterday I told Thomas that I had spoken to the rehab specialist and he was ok with that but was worried that he wouldn't get to keep his job. He was anxious all day waiting for me to hear back from her and I called her back. She said she would get back to me by noon today.

But then it happened. I was home and Thomas came out of his room and he said, "I got the call!" I had no idea what he was talking about and he told me that the job had called just then and that his new hours were 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.!!!!!! Yes! An actual real workable shift for him! I couldn't believe it! I felt like we had won some sort of lottery and then I knew that things were going to be ok for Thomas. Certainly there are a few more hurdles in our way (job stress, for one) but at least he will be working some decent hours! How cool is that?!?!?

So, he starts tonight. Everything he has worked for, everything I have hoped for him, will come to pass starting tonight at 5 p.m. I personally can't contain my excitement and my stress level dropped to almost zero and I just couldn't shut up about it last night. I went to Thomas several times and told him how proud I was of him and how excited for him that I was. This was met with some anxiety and trepidation from him because his anxiety remains intact but he is excited too. I just want him to see all of the positives of this, one of which is that he can work and he won't be kicked out of the house or left to fend for himself.

We are approaching the date of when Thomas received the diagnosis of acute paranoid schizophrenia. It was this time last year he was coming out of his first hospitalization and I was fighting the system to get him readmitted and given proper treatment and now here we are in this amazing place with true promise for his future.

You see? I promised good news and here it is!!!!!!!

I will keep you guys up to date with Thomas' new journey. I look forward to sharing it with you all and feeling like I've got people by my side through it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Most Popular Posts...

Follow my posts by Email:

Follow Me On Twitter